1. Do I apply as a transfer student or a graduate student?
Accelerated BSN applicants apply as transfer students using the NursingCAS application.
2. When does the program start?
There is a spring (January) start and a summer (May) start.
3. What is the deadline to apply for the BSN-Accelerated program?
Please refer to the Application Deadline information on the Admissions page.
4. Do I need to fill out a specific application for the SONHS?
Only one application is required. Make sure you select the University of Miami School of Nursing and Health Studies Accelerated BSN program and the semester you plan to begin.
5. What are the GPA requirements for the BSN-Accelerated Program?
6. What are the prerequisite course requirements for the Accelerated BSN program?
7. How do I know if the prerequisite courses I have taken or plan to take, meet the SONHS requirement?
Compare them to the prerequisite course descriptions in the UM online Catalog/Bulletin at Academic Bulletin.
8. Can I take the prerequisites at UM?
You may be able to take courses as a non-degree seeking student by contacting the office of continuing studies at 305-284-2271 or Continuing Studies.
9. Can someone evaluate my transcripts before I apply?
Transcript evaluations are processed through NursingCAS only after students apply.
10. Is there a timeframe when the prerequisites should have been taken?
Courses from an accredited institution with a grade of C or better that were taken within the last 5-10 years are accepted.
11. How many clinical hours does each BSN Accelerated student get per semester?
The number of clinical hours ranges from 140 to 336 per semester.
12. What is the pass rate for the NCLEX?
Our passing rate for 2013 was above a 95%. Rates are reported on a quarterly basis. Please visit https://www.ncsbn.org/nclex.htm for the most recent passing rates.
13. How many BSN Accelerated Students does the School of Nursing & Heath Studies accept every year?
Approximately 70 students are admitted each summer and spring.
14. Is there housing for Accelerated Nursing students?
The Department of Housing and Residential Life provides on campus and off-campus housing information 305-284-4505.
15. Are any of the nursing courses taught online?
Accelerated BSN courses are taught on-site.